? about name servers

About three months ago I switched from another web hosting company to dream host. My websites have been down far too much with Dream Host in that small amount of time of being here.

I would like to switch my main website back to my previous web hosting company.

When I change the name servers back to the previous web hosting name servers I understand that it takes up to 72 hrs. to propagate across the internet.

Can I keep my domain fully hosted here w/Dream Host for the three days until it propagates across the internet? Doing so … will this allow my website to stay up/accessible during the 72 hrs? And after the 72hrs is that when I can delete the domain under Dream Host’s panel?

I just want to make sure that I do this as smoothly as possible.

Thanks for the help.
Learning

Hi Learning

Sometimes dns propogation can happen almost immediately (we set up a name at godaddy, changed it to dreamhost’s nameservers and within minutes we were up and running.)

Set up your new hosting, upload your website and create your emails, databases, etc…once done, then go and add the new the nameservers.

There are more likely other/better ways, but this is the easiest way I know of.

And, good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to have already setup already. :slight_smile:

edit
It actually wasn’t setup. Now I get this message.

"Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

Is this message just because the name server hasn’t had time to propagate over the internet?

After I changed the name servers from dream host to the new host - was I suppossed to do something else with the domain at dream host? Or do I just change the name servers to point to the new host and and now just wait?

This is what I did:

1. Transfered files from Dream Host to New Host
  2. Changed domain’s name servers from Dream Host to New Host
  3. Waited a few hours
    4] Deleted the fully hosted domain from Dream Host

Was that all I was supposed to do? Or did I mess something up?

It may just be a propagation glitch - though rare that it “goes and then doesn’t go”, this sorta thing can happen in the first 48 hours.

But if you moved an “.htaccess” file as a part of your hop, do check it for compatibility with your current host and make sure it’s error-free. It may well have a directive or two or three that are no longer pointing to the correct files.

Thanks for the response.
I think it may just have been a glitch because now it is up again. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply and advice. It sure is sort of scary wondering if you messed anything up or not. Your response made it all seem a little less scary. So I thank you kindly.