About fopen and fsockopen

software development

I´m a new user in this site i haven´t account in dreamhost but i´m very interested in this , but my question it´s about this functions for my surprise i meet that this functions it´s no activate , fsockopen ok , but FOPEN NO ACTIVATEEEEE¡¡¡¡ , and say me from support that i have insert a new php.ini , but i don´t understand nothing , i want understand this , if some people know this , i hope help and if it´s easy modificate , beacuse if i can use this functions this host it´s no for me , i use many times this funtions , bye i hope you help , thank´s

If you don’t understand why allow_url_fopen has been disabled, and if you don’t understand how to use your own PHP.ini file, then you probably shouldn’t be messing with this sort of stuff in the first place. If you are forced to rely on a canned script because you have no programming experience, you should contact the authors of the script and ask them to provide a patch that makes use of the cURL (client URL) library.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

You dont understand nothing you read something about my message , i think no , it´s clear for me you don´t know read , or english it´s very complicated for you or something ,

In the first place , my question it´s about configuration of dreamhost servers and about functions , restricted fuctions in these servers , and if this functions let it here ,

The second place this function it´s allow_url_fopen , this function it´s for don´t let access to file by include from https , etc include (“www.directiob.com”); one file and include this from external site , ONLY ACCESS FROM LOCAL SITE OR LOCAL SERVER , i speak whit support and it´s for don´t let hackers and exploit damage the service , it´s perfect for me , i thought dreamhost don´t let create local files using fopen (“name_file”,“a”); , etc , and now all it´s right

And the third , you can´t say me about my experience , when my work it´s programmer and when my question it´s about servers here , no about my work and i don´t use programs based GNU , it´s my programs , don´t use open source and the last you must know that it´s very complicated change all scripts for work as curl , when this happend only in this site , i see many hosting services , i try many and , here php run as cgi , and use curl for many activities and for me it´s not normal , and i need send questions for know configuration , change all script it´s very hard and i don´t change thousand code lines for one hosting service , my question it´s clear

Read more it´s the best

I’m terribly sorry, but did you just question my ability to comprehend English? From what little of your “English” I understood, I reasoned that you were having trouble with allow_url_fopen and responded in a manner which seemed appropriate. If I have misunderstood you, then I must respectfully request that you rephrase your query in a manner and language I can understand.

And before you slight my English comprehension you might like to know I am a native of England, so I believe I have something of the upper hand in that respect.

This in the wiki, and links from there, may be helpful.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

They need more support help.
Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

And ? what you are native of england only you know speak english man , you think too clever and you think this forum it´s own , if i put a question here , it´s for speak about this question no for speak about my experience , you dont know nothing about my experience and in this conversation , this terms it´s out , ok thank´s support of dreamhost , i understand the server´s configuration and nothing , this forum , a very very little help for me , Bye

Sorry you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received in the FREE customer to customer forums. We will give you a free refund for your costs in posting a question on this forum.

(Note, I am a customer like you and have NO power or control in the the universe.)

Your Mileage May Vary.

Wholly

[quote]Sorry you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received in the FREE customer to customer forums.

[/quote]

Sometimes “free” costs you more than you get, and this thread is an example. Scjessey’s replies were less than worthless, as the OP pointed out.

[/quote]

You jumped to incorrect conclusions due to invalid assumptions and biases.

Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

You have to admit that the initial question was not terribly well presented.

Wholly

I reread the original post and I don’t see how it can mean anything different from what I initially thought. I am not biased - it was the OP that first questioned my competence in understanding English, despite writing what was essentially gibberish.

Maybe I can put the correct spin on this. Simon gave you the correct information and since you say you know about programming then you should already know about curl. Curl is the only way to keep people like yourself that do not have an account on dreamhost from giving those that do have an account a suprise. (Your words not mine)

This is a customer to customer forum if you want information please contact Dreamhost and not insult paying customers.
Silk

My website

This sort of “answer” is worthless - worth less than no answer at all. It’s insulting, and provides no answer to the questions asked. It’s not that you didn’t understand the basic question. You chose to give a worthless, insulting answer, with incorrect assumptions or extrapolations about experience and canned scripts.

As the OPer already told you, you had no basis to assume anything about using “canned” scripts or programming experience. You may or not recall that DreamHost delayed implementing their restrictions because they found so many of their customers were affected; this clearly shows many people did not understand.

If you wanted to be helpful, you could have simply pointed to where “why allow_url_fopen has been disabled” is explained in DreamHost’s wiki. Yeah, I’d still like to find that, because I had to go elsewhere.

PS. It’s a security problem is what, not why.

That fragment indicated to me that the OP didn’t have a clue about how to do anything. DreamHost have said themselves that anyone who doesn’t know how to modify PHP.ini or compile their own PHP probably shouldn’t attempt it, and I was just echoing that line. I will quote Glen from my own support history:

[quote]We don’t make custom changes for our users. The only way to
accomplish this is to recompile PHP (which IS overkill, but is seen as a
benchmark by our honchos that users KNOW what they are doing with the
changed setting)[/quote]
You asked about my “extrapolations” regarding canned scripts. My comment began, “If you are forced” - with If being the operative word in the sentence, of course.

So which is more worthless, Bob? My response to the OP, or your response to my own “worthless” response? Time and time again, you post just to start an argument with me. If you think I’ve been rude to the OP, then send me a PM and let me decide whether or not it warrants an apology. Otherwise, mind your own damn business.

[quote]an argument with me. If you think I’ve been rude to the OP, then send me a PM and let me decide whether or not it warrants an apology. Otherwise,

[/quote]

IF you think I’ll EVER send you a PM, you may have a more severe comprehension deficit than was apparent before.
IF at any time I wish to express my opinion of the proceedings, I will.

So, where is “why allow_url_fopen has been disabled” explained in DreamHost’s wiki?

[quote]You have to admit that the initial question was not terribly well presented.

[/quote]

Yes; however, when I see something like the OP, I ask myself something like: how would my posts look if the tables were turned and this forum was in Spanish or Chinese?

I’d suspect that it is not there as no one has taken it upon themselves to write it up. :wink:

The subject has, however, been pretty thoroughly discussed in various posts on this forum, and why allow_url_fopen can be dangerous is written about all over the web; researching that subject is as simple as conducting a search.

I think one of the more useful discussions of the subject is that found in this United Heroes blog post - “fopen_url, curl and You”, which DH Head Honcho Dallas referred to in earlier discussion of the subject in these forums.

–rlparker

[quote]all over the web; researching that subject is as simple as conducting a search.

[/quote]

:wink:
I know you’re not telling me that, because I hold dual citizenship in Googleland and YahooRepublic, which is why I wrote, “because I had to go elsewhere.”
:wink:

[quote]which DH Head Honcho Dallas referred to in earlier discussion of the subject in these forums.

[/quote]

Now that’s helpful! BTW, Is that DHHHD for short?

Google told me these were also good:

http://www.technosailor.com/lessons-in-web-security-php-and-remote-file-execution (especially comment 3)

[quote]… no one has [written] it up.

[/quote]

Don’t look at me. :slight_smile:

You don’t need to change your PHP.ini. You should go through your code and change those links to use CURL instead. Or, you can use the old-fashioned PHP functions. If you are opening files on your own domain, you shouldn’t be using absolute URLs anyway.

================================
Angela Gann
CrimsonDryad Web Design Services
Web Design, Custom Software Development
http://www.crimsondryad.com