A Fatal Error

Just visited a customer website to make some amends in the CMS and recieved the following message.

Warning: require_once(/home/davinasellick/healtheducationlearningportal/public_html//codeigniter/CodeIgniter.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/davinasellick/healtheducationlearningportal/public_html/index.php on line 158

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘/home/davinasellick/healtheducationlearningportal/public_html//codeigniter/CodeIgniter.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear’) in /home/davinasellick/healtheducationlearningportal/public_html/index.php on line 158

So no site online at all. Can log in to ftp side of site, domains all paid and up to date. No one has touched anything on Dreamhost in mySQL/or PhP side of this site from our end for months -sites been up and happily running for 3 1/2 years with no issues. Any ideas on what has gone horribly wrong and where I go from here??? Please also bear in mind I’m not very teccy so if you do reply - make it easy! Thxs :slight_smile:

Dreamhost doesn’t use “public_html” typically in naming paths, which suggests that CodeIgniter is not properly configured. Current versions of CodeIgniter detect the pathinfo on dreamhost correctly without manual edits. Theoretically it’s also possible that whoever set this site up originally overrode dreamhost’s default webpaths and used one that included “public_html”

Perhaps however your site has been compromised. Your post suggests that you are using a 3.5 year or older version of CodeIgniter which was many releases ago, many bug fixes later.

Pretty hard to nail down what happaned with the information included in your post. Do you have a backup of your site? That could be used to get you going again, but I would definitely look into upgrading CodeIgniter as well.

Hi thank you for replying - the developer who built the bespoke CMS has now left our organisation and we have little documentation for it but public_html sounds like a file within the database - I have never seen pathinfo - so he could well have over written. Back ups for the site are held in mySQL. I hope its not the site compromised… think we may well have to track said developer down and see if he can help but you comments are greatly appreciated as a starting point. Many thanks

Software doesn’t live on forever without maintenance. What has worked for 3.5 years with no issues could have broken due to a change in server software or libraries changing. If your truly using a CMS and not custom software you should consider migrating your site to one of the many CMS’s maintained and offered under public license.

Thanks for the reply once again - interestingly I just recieved the following message from dreamhost support:

I am sorry for the trouble you are having with this. Looking at this
error this is what I am seeing.

require_once(/home/davinasellick/healtheducationlearningportal/public_html//codeigniter/CodeIgniter.php

But this file does not exist in this location.It is actually located here.

./system/CodeIgniter-1.7.0/codeigniter/CodeIgniter.php

You will need to adjust your site software paths to point to the correct location for the CodeIgniter.php file.

So it seems that your suggestion that server/software libraries have changed could be correct. We are using open-source CMS’s for all current/future web projects which seems like a good plan. This website is pretty old but alas I do not think the customer will have the funds to pay for any further development’s.

CodeIgniter is not dreamhost installed, it’s a php framework that was installed by the developer of the site. 1.7 also has a release date of October 23, 2008 and is about 7 versions ago.

They told you how to fix the problem, but the question remains how did CodeIgniter.php get changed with the bad paths included?

I can not understand how the paths got changed as there has been no human intervention from our end. I have asked Dreamhost if they can shed any light on how things can have changed without us having touched them. The mystery deepens but at least we may be able to get the developers pointing in the right direction to get things fixed…I live in hope :slight_smile: