A domain for every blog?

I have a blog at typepad that I want to migrate to my new DreamHost account. I want to start a blog on a different subject. A very newbie question: Do I have to register a domain for each blog, or is there a way to operate separate blogs from the same domain?

You have several options for running more than one blog. I’m not that familiar with Movable Type - the sofware behind typepad.com blogging services, but most (if not all) blogging software will let you run your blog either in a subdomain or in a subfolder of your domain.

For example, you could run blogs like:

If you’re running free blogging software like WordPress, you can either have separate installations of WordPress for each blog or run a single WordPress Mu installation and have “infinitely many” blogs until your server grinds to a halt, everyone here complains until they’re moved off the server, and people start dying! :slight_smile:

Let us know if you think you’re going to continue to use Movable Type or if you’re going to transition to WordPress and we can give you some more detail!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

So in short, you can run multiple blogs while only having to register one domain.

There is something nice about having a blog that is “www.slackersthoughts.com”, though. I use the money I save from hosting at DreamHost for buying extra domain names for my sites. There are also monetization/advertising reasons for having a top level domain, if that’s something that concerns you.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Also, beside WordPress MU which lensman already mentioned, there is Lyceum - another “multiblog” system based on WordPress.

My initial experience is that Lyceum is easier to install and operate successfully on Dreamhost than WordPRess MU., though YMMV. :wink:

Thanks RL. I’ll have to give it a try! I’m just starting up a multi-user WordPress site and as I think I somehow messed up my original Mu install, I might give Lyceum a try instead. (But don’t take my problem as indicative of something wrong with Mu. It was 3am when I was doing the install so it was probably user error)

I think it’s more logical to have multiple related sites in subdomains of the same domain, instead of in a profusion of different domains.

– Dan