A couple of general questions

Hello all,

I’ve got a static IP currently, Debian listening, authoritative for DNS/SMTP/HTTP/etc. on a number of domains (all non-commercial, just personal sites for me and some friends/family). While I want to continue hosting all the domains I own, I’m curious if it’s possible to toss a few ‘hostnames’ on a couple of domains at a DH account. For example, if I currently own domain.com, can I add an A or CNAME DNS record for photos.domain.com to my BIND setup and point that at a DH virtual host for HTTP vending, or do I need to ‘transfer’ the whole domain? There are some other services I run on these domains that require root privs, and I don’t want to relinquish those.

I sit behind aDSL (1.5Mbit/s down, 220kb/s up) and would just like to offload photos and such to a better place, paying the upload tax only once. uptime’s not that critical for me, it’s all vanity stuff anyway.

I realize I could create a ‘new’ domain name (heck, it’s included) with DH and provide the appro links to<->fro, but I like the consistency of at least the same domain showing up in the URL bar when people surf around my sites.

Another question is I prefer Gallery (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery) for my photo albums. Can I install/run this in userspace on DH?

Thanks!

Lee

I’m not sure about your first question, but with regards to Gallery, it’s available as an easy-to-use one-click install (or you can install it yourself).

Hopefully others will be able to help with the subdomain question

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

fidgeting.net

I run a small Gallery site at DreamHost too.

And yes, you can host just a subdomain at DreamHost. The steps are:

1. Add the domain in the DreamHost control panel.
  2. and then just specify that the domain is not hosted. (Delete “web hosting”).
  3. Add the sub-domain.
  4. Click on “DNS” to manage the DNS for the sub-domain.
  5. Read the IP address that got assigned for the sub-domain. This is the IP address you need to specify in the A record of your name server.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You always get a free life long domain with your DreamHost account. You can either register or transfer(with free renewal as long as you be with DreamHost) one domain with the free domain credit. As you already have more than one domain you can utilize the free domain credit(s). Don’t feel hesited to ask any question. There’re some experts(i’m not within the list :stuck_out_tongue: ) around this forum to help you. They’re really friendly :slight_smile:

MAXDH=[color=#CC0000]$97 off[/color]
[color=#00CC00]DB5=150%disk & bw+$7
D82=2 domain+$82, 6D7=7 domain+$7
UIP67=1 IP+$67
2xDS=200%disk+$7 off[/color]

Lee,

If I were you, I would take a bit of a ‘wait and see’ approach. DH is currently saddled with several very serious (buggy) issues that they are attempting to resolve (see: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com ; check the ‘comments’) - While I am fairly certain they will return to semi-normal in the next couple of months, these are trying times right now and you may be better off with one of the other bargain hosters at this point.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Thank you Lensman (and everyone else!),

That’s just what I needed to know and wanted to hear. I’ll probably give it a go in the next month or so.

Best Regards,

Lee

You’re most welcome. And also welcome to DreamHost in advance. Wish you’ll happy here.

MAXDH=[color=#CC0000]$97 off[/color]
[color=#00CC00]DB5=150%disk & bw+$7
D82=2 domain+$82, 6D7=7 domain+$7
UIP67=1 IP+$67
2xDS=200%disk+$7 off[/color]