503 Errors Galore

Since dreamhost absolutely cannot give me any good answer, did anyone else have some major problems with 503 errors? It seems to be linked directly to SQL since my websites with PHP and SQL seem to be the ones with main 503 errors. After being with dreamhost for 3 years I am not planning to renew next year because of the downtime. Anyone have any ideas?

There is a limit of memory and connections your website can handle here on DH. If you are getting to many visitors which are using too many ressources you’ll be getting 503 errors. Maybe your website has grown too big after three years? Without more information about the number of visitors and the used software we can only speculate.

And option is to upgrade to DreamhostPS which gives you guaranteed ressources. This might be the only option if the standard shared hosting package can’t handle your website.

Jan

Promo-Code: [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY97[/color] - Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on your first year of hosting.
Get more promo codes here

The thing is, the problem suddenly started, if anything visitors have DECREASED over the years, and this happened suddenly after I had some security issues and then suddenly it just went like this. Some of my websites don’t have that problem - they are on the same server. So if the server itself is reaching limits shouldn’t it propogate across all of the domains?

I already contacted about the CPU usage, it isn’t that. So it’s really perplexing. I can’t think of anything else. I divided up the SQL databases to solve the problem too that didn’t work.

I sometimes have the 503 errors with my Gallery2 installation and my logs indicate memory problems in those cases.

Do you host your domains with different users or do you use one user for all your domains? I recently started moving the more resource intensive domains to different users because AFAIK the limit should only be applied to the current (shell) users which is the owner of the PHP process. So splitting up your domains with different users should spread the load.

However since you are mentioning security problems I would think that someone might have placed a script on your server (Perl, PHP, Python, Shell…) which might be running a lot. Are you sure that you deleted all files and replaced them with backups/original files? Maybe you still have a harmful script somewhere on your account which is hogging all the resources? Did you check all the directories, logs? Check the apache logs for any calls to PHP scripts which look suspicious.

Jan

Promo-Code: [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY97[/color] - Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on your first year of hosting.
Get more promo codes here