can somebody explain to me why the hell my website isn’t working? I’ve followed all instructions, done everything I’m supposed to do, paid for my domain, and it still isn’t working.

I have a portfolio on 500px.com, and I wanted to assign it a domain, and a friend told me this website was good. This website has NOT proven to be good, or superior to ANY other hostin service on the internet, because of it’s god-awful layout on the website…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

500px.com does not have its nameservers set to dreamhost. You need to either change that and waitfor DNS to propagate or use one of the tricks for viewing a site before dns change http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

500px is an online photo hosting service. It’s not Michael’s personal site.

ahhh… i read the post wrong then. (I thought 500px seemed a familiar).

So Michael have you purchases a domain name thru dreamhost and you are trying to point that at your 500px site?

I’ve not tried this, but your domain needs to be set up here as DNS Only. This is the very bottom option when you go to Manage Domains and Add Domain (or Edit your existing domain).

Once that’s done, if you go to Manage Domains, there’s a DNS link next to your domain entry. Click on that.

Then you can Add a Custom DNS entry. I think you’ll need to add two entries, as shown in this 500px help article:

One entry is blank (for the example.com URL), and one entry would be ‘www’. Both should be A records with the IP address

and after you have made these changes, the result will NOT be instant. You will have to wait for DNS to propagate worldwide.

I’ve added both my blank and www A records to the new IP over a week ago, and I think I need to change the “Non-Editable” www and blank records in dreamhost pannel. I still need to use my dreamhost hosted FTP space though. I can see that there are 2 different DNS entries when I check my DNS online: http://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/andrewfredrickson.net

And that’s why some users are getting the old website, and some are getting the new website. It just depends on what DNS entry they are picking up.

What you’re trying to do isn’t possible. You can host your site on 500px (using the custom A records), or you can host it on DreamHost (using the default, non-editable A records), but you can’t have both at the same time.

One thing you could do is add the 500px DNS records for a subdomain of your main site (e.g, gallery.example.com) and link to that from your main site.