500Gb Storage!

I (foolishly) signed up for an FTP service (www.siteground.com) offering 750Gb storage for not very much money per month, but now have been slapped down as they have a 5Gb limit on ‘multimedia’ files (and we FTP lots of MP3 files), so their 750Gb headline offer is meaningless as any file of any significant size is a so called multimedia file!

So I’m checking out Dreamhost and the 500Gb offer, and I don’t see anything in the T & C that disallows particular types of file, unless I’m gravely mistaken?

Now I don’t need anywhere near 500Gb, but I need more than 5Gb. I just need the FTP service in order to deliver lots of MP3 files to remote users (ie no streaming or anything like that) so my bandwidth requirements are low.

Is this the service for me?

Well, it could be, though you should carefully read the Terms of Service and the information on the DreamHost Abuse Center pages regarding your intended storage/use of MP3s, just to make sure you are “in the clear”. :wink:

–rlparker
(edited to fix a link)

Well I’ve read the terms of use (but your link to the abuse pages just gives me a blank page?) and I don’t see any caveat that precludes me from simply uploading and downloading loads of MP3 files.

There is no problem if you hold the copyright to these MP3 files, but if you upload commercial MP3 files that would constitute a copyright violation - especially if you allow these files to be world-readable (anyone can download). If that is the case, DreamHost may terminate your account without warning.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

We have copyright for the MP3s, or at least we have permission to distribute them amongst ourselves, which is what we are doing. We are not making them publicly available - we are protecting them by creating secure profiles in order to download them.

These aren’t MP3s ripped off commercial CDs - they are Scottish Gaelic audio files we are cataloging.

Ultimately we will be making them publicly available on a streaming service, but not on DH.

[quote]We have copyright for the MP3s, or at least we have permission to distribute them amongst ourselves, which is what we are doing. We are not making them publicly available - we are protecting them by creating secure profiles in order to download them.

These aren’t MP3s ripped off commercial CDs - they are Scottish Gaelic audio files we are cataloging.

Ultimately we will be making them publicly available on a streaming service, but not on DH.[/quote]
You should be just fine then. For you information, you can stream audio and video files here by using the Darwin Streaming Server.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

[quote]These aren’t MP3s ripped off commercial CDs - they are Scottish Gaelic audio files we are cataloging.

Ultimately we will be making them publicly available on a streaming service, but not on DH.[/quote]
One thing you might want to be cautious about making sure you’re compliant with this section of the Terms of Service:

I think the best thing to avoid any future angst is to contact DH pre-sales support via the following contact form:
http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Yes I noticed that but thought it I would be OK as we are uploading the data for our website, as the purpose of our webpages are purely to allow users to download our MP3 files… otherwise it wouldn’t exist.

But it is wise advice to check.

Yikes! sorry for the typo, the correct link is: http://abuse.dreamhost.com. From your later posts, it sounds like you shouldn’t have a problem. :wink:

–rlparker

Yeah, I imagine you’re on relatively safe ground. I was just thinking that since it’s not a public site that it might fall into the edge case of an archive for more than one person. I suspect that it’s an area where the actual amount of space used might determine whether the interpretation of the ToS would be strict or lax.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?

Does your current provider treat “.bzip2” files as multimedia files?
How about “.xgkb” files? (which are really just .bzip2 files you re-named to another extension)
I bet you can get around the multimedia limitation where you’re at; worst case, with some form of encryption that you share with your cohorts.

I checked with their Sales dept and they do indeed allow you to use the full 500Gb if needed!

It does exactly what it says on the tin, which is all I ask!

It does beg the question though, are www.siteground.com not misselling if they are headline advertising 750Gb storage, and then in the T & C contradicting that by listing all types of files that are likely to take up any significant storage?

[quote]Does your current provider treat “.bzip2” files as multimedia files?
How about “.xgkb” files? (which are really just .bzip2 files you re-named to another extension)
I bet you can get around the multimedia limitation where you’re at; worst case, with some form of encryption that you share with your cohorts.[/quote]
Nice thinking, but unfortunately not likely to work out for the OP. Here’s the ToS for his current host:

[quote] 1. NO more than 5,000 MB of a Linux shared hosting account can be allocated to music, video or other multimedia files including but not limited to .avi, .mp3, .mpeg, .jpg, .gif files
2. NO more than 5,000 MB of a Linux shared hosting account can be allocated to any archive files and disk images files containing the complete contents and structure of a data storage medium. These files include but are not limited to .rar, .zip, .tar, .gzip, .iso, .nrg, .ccd, .img, .sub, bin/.cue files.
3. NO more than 5,000 MB of a Linux shared hosting account can be allocated to databases dumps including but not limited to .sql files
4. NO more than 5,000 MB of a Linux shared hosting account can be allocated to Executable files and all other files which are the result of compiling a program. These include but are not limited to .exe, .pdf, .psd files.
[/quote]

Having finally found the T&C, I agree that it’s not as stand-up as most other hosts I’ve seen. It really takes overselling to a new level. What’s left after that gargantuan list of ineligible file types? html and css?

You’re absolutely right, no one who would be attracted by the offer of 750 GB would find it attractive after finding out the exact terms and conditions.

I don’t like to hear that but it happens. Maybe we should start a post to see who has filled up the space.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

too true.

woop

I’m not sure what you guys mean. Start a post where?

I think you can. My account used 50GB+, it’s ok

[color=#CC0000]$50 off and 3 extra FREE lifetime domains PromoCode:[color=#00CC00]3ComDomains[/color]
$50 off and 1 extra FREE lifetime unique IP and 1 FREE domain CouponCode:[color=#0000CC]FreeIpFreeDomain[/color][/color]

Nice bump

NEW MARCH '08 PROMOCODE: MARCH08 FOR MAXIMUM DH DISCOUNTS