500 Internal Server Error

Ever since early this morning my website has been offline, getting nothing but a 500 Internal Server Error page. What’s happening?

If you’ve been making changes to .htaccess, maybe something needs changed back. Not sure if this is the problem, but likely.

~Chell

I haven’t gotten a chance to alter anything yet with .htaccess, whatever caused the internal error happened on its own.

Edit: I’m also getting timed-out errors when I go my webmail. Is the server my site is on going screwy?

Not good. If there are no announcements about this for your server, you should submit a support ticket.

~Chell

Ah hah, I found the problem. And yes it is related to the .htaccess thing and the result of user error. ^^;; During my troubleshooting attempts, as a quick test I uploaded an .htaccess file with random gibberish in it. Right afterwards I didn’t notice the site being down because the pages I browsed were in my browser’s cache. Anyhow, I just followed the advice from the other thread and made hidden files visible, then I deleted the gibberish .htaccess file and now everything is working.

As for the webmail timing out, it seems that was temporary because its working fine now.

[quote]Edit: I’m also getting timed-out errors when I go my webmail.
Is the server my site is on going screwy?

[/quote]

I think the webmail timeouts are not connected with the server hosting web sites. FWIW I get them frequently, on webmail.domain and far more seriously (since it blocks access to quarantine) webmail2.dreamhost. Nothing to do about it but try again later IME.