500 Internal Server Error: Crystallight

Hi,
I’m a new Dreamhost customer who is on a L3 plan. I was very happy with you guys for the last couple of weeks except few days ago there was a server downtime and my site was not working for couple of hours. I emailed the support team and then they said they will reboot the server shortly and was told that there are known issues with the server “Crystalight” So I was fine with it, but ever since the server was rebooted my site is getting 500 Internal server errors like crazy. I’m using SMF forum on the site and its a unmodified clean installation with correct CHMOD settings. I thought it could be the htaccess file I’m using for html rewrite. So I took it out and I was still getting the same error. hmm… So that ruled out the chance of htaccess file going crazy or proper CHMOD settings. Next thing the support team were saying is that my script is consuming too much resources. I usually have about 20 guests and 30 members online at time. Which is about 50 users on average at a time browsing through the forum. I think that should be good enough for a L3 plan users traffic, otherwise how could you digest all that badwidth you’ve been given. So anyways, back to the topic. So the support team told me that it is the script that is consuming too much resources. hmm … ok so it is the script? but how come I did not have such trouble with the first two weeks of my sign up till the server downtime? hmm… So poor me… I had to buy a SMF charter membership to get someone to check the script since dreamhost said they dont provide support for user run scripts. So I got a smf guy to look at my site and he said the script is fine. We backed up a copy and ran it on a different server and it worked fine. So that eliminated any issued with the script. Now it has to be the host whose server got issues… aint it? So I dropped a support ticket again and I was told the same thing again… it is almost like a Carbon copy of the earlier reply. So anyway, this time they told me to add 2 different users to 2 of my domains. Keep in mind that 2nd domain I have in my account has only a single html page which is like 2kbs (This domain is the one came free with the account and I dont use it much. Ok… so whatever… I did what I was told to. I made 2 different users for 2 of my domains and again I was still getting the damn “500 Internal server error.”…

So as they say none of the solutions worked and they kep complaining that it is my script… which is smf that is doing the damage. ok… so what I did this time was install phpbb on a test user and KABOOM… I WAS GETTING THE SAME ERROR ON THAT SCRIPT AS WELL… and phpbb was loading even slower. I did this while I had my smf site offline… and I had only about 7 guests on the new installation. So is it still my script or is it the server “crystallight” having issues? I think its gotta be the server eh? What I want to know is, is it possible to get me moved to a different server other than crystallight? or if it is not possible… is it possible to get a refund for the remaining 11 months and 2 weeks on my dreamhost account? I am really sad to see this kind of a disappointment with dreamhost. I was fine with servage and I switched to a L3 on dreamhost cuz I was too greedy for space… not the bandwidth cuz my site only consumes about 400gb per month on average. Ah… was it a poor choice? So would they be able to put me on a different server other than crystalight?
Thanks fellow dreamhost users :slight_smile:
cheers,

hmm… its working fine now eh =)

Lets see how it goes …

First up you should probably take a look at the CPU resources FAQ in the wiki.

This way you can at least confirm what Dreamhost is reporting regarding system resources. Not exactly sure what else to add, but if you’re using 400GB per month for that forum, and it only has 50 users/guests online at any one time, those users must be extremely busy, or your hosting a lot images such avatars and other media for your users.

On another forum I frequent, they have around 500 reg’d users, and on average they have about 30 users online at any one time, with it peaking around 60-70 users online in the evenings and the best it manages is around 15GB of transfer in a month.

Hot Product Directory | Get Around The Net Directory

[quote]
First up you should probably take a look at the CPU resources FAQ in the wiki.

This way you can at least confirm what Dreamhost is reporting regarding system resources. Not exactly sure what else to add, but if you’re using 400GB per month for that forum, and it only has 50 users/guests online at any one time, those users must be extremely busy, or your hosting a lot images such avatars and other media for your users.

On another forum I frequent, they have around 500 reg’d users, and on average they have about 30 users online at any one time, with it peaking around 60-70 users online in the evenings and the best it manages is around 15GB of transfer in a month.[/quote]
We have a vBulletin board sized similar to yours. We’ve had as much as 91 users online at any one time, and a fairly rapid growth rate in terms of message load (close to 1,000 in the last week or so, for example). We’ve never seen our resource usage climb to anything that isn’t acceptable here and performance is pretty good almost 24/7.

So, yes, I agree that the user in question must be doing something strange, such as running unusual mods or scripts, and/or providing videos or other huge downloads.

We consume more bandwidth than both of you combined, but that’s because of the Podcast version of our radio shows, so it’s not very resource intensive.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com
[b]My DreamHost Promo Plan—Use the code: [color=#CC0000]ROCKS[b][/color]