500/503 Errors

wordpress

Oh my main domain, I am getting 500/503 error messages (you refresh get one, refresh get the other, etc). Usually, when I have this problem, there is something wrong with my .htaccess file. I checked that out and it was fine. I would like to look at my access.log, but I can’t due to the 503 error it shows instead of the page and I can’t open it in webftp because it is too large.

I’ve never used SSH before, but I gave it a go. Attempting what was said on the heavy usage page (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Finding_Causes_of_Heavy_Usage), I blocked robots from accessing sites that was causing heavy traffic. I went to check the processes by putting in the command it gave and all I get is an error message, so I don’t know if it is a script.

Last night, I restored an old Wordpress database and everything came back up. It worked fine for a few hours, but then the issue came back this morning sometime around the early evening. I use Wordpress if it’s any help. Does anyone know anything else I can try to fix this?

And, how many ‘hits’ counts as a lot. I am looking at some of the reports through SSH and seeing one site get about 4000+ from one IP. Is that a lot? Should I block it?

You could try blocking the IP in your .htaccess file.

Example:

[code]# begin IP blocks
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from All
Deny from 192.168.0.1

end IP blocks[/code]

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost