40k customers and only have 2 x Gbit uplinks?

Maybe I dont understand, you said in a thread dated 12/02/04 that you only have 2 Gig uplinks and a the other is 10BaseT to handle here 40k customers…?

Possibly you can help me understand, how this is possible, even EV1 has not this many customers and over 10GBit and maybe 6 or more providers?

Please explain for me how you can put this many customers with such cheap prices and my sites wont be slow??

I use others for such cheap prices and speed is poor, now your host looks good for me… but how is this speed?

Maybe you can put for me 5MB file to test this transfer.

thanks
Mitch

I have a 4.27mb file sitting in my web root, hosted here on a shared server if you’d like to give it a shot:

http://disk919.com/demotivators.zip

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

We never oversell bandwidth. The majority of our customers don’t use that much so we’re able to set pricing that’s good for everyone while also offering great deals to people who do need to use larger amounts of bandwidth. I can’t say anything about the setup EV1 has because I don’t have any information about it, but you can rest assured that we have plenty of bandwidth available to our customers. The price of wholesale bandwidth has come down significantly in the past few years and we have continued to pass that on to our customers.

We are regularly changing our bandwidth provider configuration to get the best performance to price ratio and ensure maximum uptime. We don’t have any 10BaseT connections… the minimum we’ll ever have is a 100BaseT and we’ll always have gigabit or better connections in general. Our traffic is always split between all of our various providers so any one of the lines is never handling all of it.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

A few things:

1. People lie a lot. I’m not saying that EV1 is lying, but it’s possible that they’re exaggerating or are offering misleading or outdated information. A lot of companies (and I don’t think that EV1 is one of them) like to describe their provider’s network and then talk about “their” network.

2. EV1 is a totally different type of company. They have a lot of “customers” who are resellers and have customers of their own. They have a lot of dedicated server customers. It’s pretty likely that they are pushing a /lot/ more bandwidth than we are overall. We have lots of small customers, and some medium-sized and big-ish customers.

Also, with a lot of dedicated servers they don’t manage directly, and with all the layers of resellers, I imagine it’s harder for them to deal with some sorts of attacks (both inbound attacks and outbound attacks from compromised machines).

Ultimately, you’re comparing apples and oranges here… the “number of customers” isn’t really relevant.

1. As Dallas says, we’re always running below capacity. If the need arises, we can add additional capacity on very short notice. If a single Gigabit link fails, the other would be able to handle all of the traffic plus some. The FastE line is normally running well below capacity. We will be either getting rid of this line entirely after the router upgrade I mentioned, or will be getting a third Gigabit line.

2. We monitor our uplinks to various providers on an ongoing basis, so that we can identify problems and keep an eye on traffic trends.

3. Remember that network bottlenecks aren’t necessarily at either end point.

4. Having lots of different providers can be a good thing, but it’s not always that important. And keeping prices down is usually easier to do when you’re dealing with fewer providers with a higher commitment to each provider.

In any event, don’t take our word for it, and feel free to do some testing of your own by downloading big files from people hosted with us… overall, though, I think we run a pretty solid network, and I think you will be happy with it.

Has Dreamhost considered using MRTG to show their ISPs bandwidth utilization? It’s free and quite configurable, I use it where I work to monitor over a 100 routers. If you have any questions I’d be happy to help.

We use both RTG and Cricket.