404 on all but the home page

Hi,

I was looking to re-set my wordpress install, so I deleted all the folders in the root directory of my site (but kept copies), uninstalled and then re-installed wordpress, re-uploaded my media etc to the original directories, then restored my site database from the Dreamhost web panel. Now everything other than the main page of the site (www.jay-moss.com) points to a 404 error.

Does anyone know what would cause this? (apart from me messing with stuff I shouldn’t!)

Thanks in advance

GK

• ReCheck that you mimiced your “original” setup (plugins, paths) correctly.

• Look in .htaccess file for any problematic path rewrites.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks sXi,

I’m afraid I don’t know what an .htaccess file is (even after a bit of reading!) I know that the set up (in terms of the file structure) is exactly as it was before the upgrade, because I just copied the root Jay-moss.com folder, deleted it and then re-uploaded it.

the full error message i’m getting is this:

"The requested URL /archives/category/commercial was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

And it appears for every path other than jay-moss.com, i’ve tried restoring the MySQL database from different days in the same database but nothing seems to change?

Also: I if I create a new post category in WP dashboard, it will show up in the category list on the front page, but then also give the above error when you try and click through (i’d figured that at least newly created pages would work but it seems not)?
Best,

GK

The .htaccess file is a (hidden) file often used in the domain root that can be used to instruct an Apache web server to perform additional tasks on requests.

Enabling “Show hidden files” in your FTP client will allow you to see any .htaccess file.

Hi, thanks again, but there seems to be no such file? The only hidden files in the root are these:

.alias
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.cshrc

Could it be possible that I don’t have a .htaccess file?
GK

The .htaccess would be in the domain root (if it’s present at all).

i.e. ~/jay-moss.com/.htaccess

Nothing in there either it seems.

GK

Have you re-enabled Permalinks in the admin settings since you reinstalled?

You Sir (or Madam),

Have saved my life! Thankyou :slight_smile:

GK