404 Error

HELP!

I’m new to Dreamhost and I’m about to throw my computer out the window.

I’m getting 404 Error on my index page. I purchased a domain from namecheap. I FTP the site last night, and pointed the DNS here as well at the same time. This morning, to my delight the site was up and running, even as late as this afternoon. When I came home from dinner to do some fix-ups, this is what I got

Not Found
The requested URL /park/bathhouseblues.com was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.park-your-domain.com Port 80

What can I do? I redirected the DNS from namecheap here with no problems, as it was working fine this morning.

BTW, when I FTP a revised page (got error message before I FTP) they wouldn’t accept my domain, only the " quid.dreamhost.com" domain. It accepted the pages no problem. But not the domain which gave me the 404 error.

Please help

That’s common with newly pointed DNS. It just takes time to be updated on all services. You should double check your DNS entries at your registrar anyway, to be sure this isn’t the problem. You say you uploaded and viewed your site already, so apparently you did add the domain in the DreamHost panel? Time will probably fix this.

~Chell

Thanks Chell…

Went and cooled off and had some dinner. When I returned, it was up again! I guess it will go up and down like a toilet seat for the next few weeks.

Thanks again.

It takes anywhere from 24-72 hours for DNS changes to propagate completely. During this period it’s really just a matter of your ISP updating their own DNS cache. I’ve come across this a number of times on my own between home and work (5 min drive from each other, different ISP’s).

After 3 days, if your DNS have been entered correctly and you can’t see your site (from any computer) there’s something bad happening :slight_smile: You shouldn’t have a problem though.