404 error from home, not from office

I receive a 404 error when using my home browser (xp, i.e. 5 with service packs) however when checking my stats from a different computer I do not receive the 404 error.

What settings should I verify and double-check on my Internet Explorer on my home pc that could be causing this?

Thank you,
-Michael

Clear out the Cache, cookies, and History on your home computer and try it again. in Internet Exploer, click:

Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies, Delete Files, Clear History (all three are boxes on the main tab)

It then should load.

-Matttail

[quote]Clear out … cookies,

[/quote]

Wow. What evidence is there that cookies can cause a 404 when accessing stats?

This is just a long shot, but it is possible that there is some other error happening, perhaps location related, but the server is not finding the appropriate error page - in which case it returns a 404 because the error page is not found.

I can’t think of anything else that would explain a location-specific 404.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

That could be the case. If so, where to start troubleshooting? Do you know anyone else who has had this issue?

[quote]Wow. What evidence is there that cookies can cause a 404 when accessing stats?

[/quote]

No evidence. Mostly it’s just a cache/reload issue. It’s just simple to clear out everything while in your in options. However, sometimes cookies cause strange erros, like in Internet explorer sometimes webmail will go all black - black background with black text - the cookie webmail sets has gotten messed up and isn’t calling in the css properly. So you clear out cache, cookies, and history and log into webmail again and it work.

And perhaps there is some kind of a page error for your stats that one browser is picking up and the other not. Possibly support could clear out the current files and force a regeneration of stats and stats pages? Just a guess though - I don’t know how stats goes about updating the info.

-Matttail

[quote]No evidence. … It’s just simple to clear out everything while in your in options.

[/quote]

Simple, but potentially loses valuable data. Sicne there’s no good reason to clear them, better not to.

I wonder if DNS casching is causing the problem, is it a new site, and/or do you use one of those accelerated dial-up accounts?