3LD (Third Level Domains) and DreamHost

Hi everyone, got a couple questions for you. I’m looking at registering a 3LD (third level domain) through http://www.nic.name/. I currently have a hosting plan with DreamHost that my website is hosted on, and I’m already using the one free domain registration that comes with that.

Basically I want to host this other domain on my account along with my current site. I’m not sure how DreamHost handles 3LDs though (since you can’t register the domain “smith.name”, only something like “john.smith.name”).

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what hoops I will have to jump through to get this working?

Thanks,
-Aikon

Looks as though it would work the same as all other subdomains in dreamhost’s system. You simply enter the full domain “john.smith.name” … select how you want it hosted… and point your registration to Dreamhost’s nameservers.

I tried adding “john.smith.name” and I got the following error message:

[quote]Uh oh! Please fix the 1 error below:
[…]
Can’t add domain: you don’t have permission to add to smith.name.[/quote]

Lensman figured out the correct answer

You actually have to add smith.name first, then add john.smith.name.

You don’t need to actually host anything at smith.name. In fact, it would probably be best if you deleted hosting for that domain.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

Hmm… this will work? I know for a fact that I won’t be able to direct “smith.name”'s name servers to point to DreamHost, only “john.smith.name”.

It does work. I registered a .name for my name too. You do not need to point the “smith.name” name servers to point to Dreamhost as you wont be hosting it. Just need to point the “john.smith.name” name servers.

After you add “smith.name” and “john.smith.name” you can even delete “smith.name”. Will work fine just under your domain listing “john.smith.name” will be tabbed over like a subdomain with no main domain over it so you will need to “Show Subdomains” to see it if you are trying to do anything on the Domain Management screen.

Cool, thanks alot for the info =)