301 Redirect?

Hey gang… I need to change the URL of my podcast feed file… the iTunes tech spec mentions setting up a 301 Redirect to the new feed location… does DH support this feature???

I’ve already implemented the iTunes ‘new-feed-url’ function… I just want to get the remainder of subscribers moved over that don’t use the iTunes client…

here’s the snippet from the Apple Podcast Tech Spec:

"Changing Your Feed URL

Podcasters occasionally need to move their feed from one location to another. To do so without losing subscribers, you must convey the change directly to all users who are subscribed to your feed. If possible, you should do two things:

• You should use the itunes:new-feed-url tag described in the iTunes RSS Tags section below. The tag will cause the iTunes Store to be updated with the new feed URL, as well as all iTunes client versions that support podcasting.
  • You should set your web server to return an HTTP 301 response and redirect when receiving a request for the old feed. Doing so will cause both the iTunes Store and the most (but not all) iTunes clients that have subscribed to your podcast to pick up the new feed URL.
  • The itunes:new-feed-url tag will work for iTS and all versions of the iTunes client that support podcasting. The 301 redirect will work for most of your subscribers who do not use the iTunes client. We recommend that you use both methods to update the greatest possible number of subscribers with your new feed URL.
  • Be sure to maintain the <itunes:new-feed-url< tag and the 301 redirect for at least two weeks to ensure that most subscribers have attempted to download your most recent episode and have thereby received the new URL.
  • If you are not able to use both methods, you may want to include an audio note in your podcast, informing your subscribers that your podcast has changed locations."

Yes, just put the following in your .htaccess file:
redirect 301 /olddir/oldfile.mpg http://www.newserver.tld/newdir/newfile.mpg

You should, of course, substitute olddir, oldfile.mpg, www.newserver.tld, newdir, and newfile.mpg with the appropriate file, directory and server names.

I think you could also do this in the htaccess of the specific directory that your podcast is in and just use the relative path for the old file.

Ask if you need to do this for a whole directory or a bunch of podcasts.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Ok…
I make and upload an .htaccess file with line that you suggested above. I changed the paths to work with with my files obv.

I did a little google action regarding .htaccess files and tried all sorts of combinations of chmod ownerships / permissions…

whenever the .htaccess file is in my root folder… the server returns ‘Internal Server Error’ when trying to visit anything on the whole site.

or, if I move the .htaccess file into a subdirectory… nothing in that subdirectory or beyond works… yeilding the same ‘Internal Server Error’.

I guess I’ll file a support ticket with DH support. No matter what I do, I still get this ‘internal server error’ when using the .htaccess file.