300GB Website Backup Strategy? Accidental Deletion Scenario?

vps

Greetings,

I’m in the process of studying self-administration of a web server for DreamCompute. All of my websites combined are 300GB in size. One site has 1 million product images uploaded by various sellers.

What happens if I accidentally delete everything due to a bad Linux command? Does Dreamhost keep a backup of everything (Ceph redundant storage with 3 copies)? What is the strategy in case of a nightmare scenario where 1 million images vanishes?

Thanks
Kind regards

DreamCompute does utilize Ceph, however you can consider the 3 copies it stores more like RAID than backup, and RAID is not a backup solution. If you accidentally deleted your data, it would be gone from our systems and not recoverable. To properly backup your data, I would suggest making backups of it to DreamObjects which is in a different datacenter and a different Ceph system for extra security.

hi Peppy,

Ceph has redundancy indeed but will not keep the history of files… If you delete a file stored on Ceph, it’s deleted and cannot be recovered. DreamHost does not keep backups of files and volumes stored on DreamCompute nor DreamObjects: it would be impossible. Ceph’s redundancy is there to prevent that one single disk failing takes the whole system down, it’s not a backup solution.
The proper way to do things on DreamCompute is for you to maintain your own backups.
hth

I keep local copies of my sites by using rsync. The first rsync will take quite a while, but subsequent backups will be much quicker. It’s much easier for me to manage my backups when they’re at home.

1. I have Time Machine, which keeps recent versions of my files.
  2. I also backup my local computer to terabyte USB drives, then store those offsite.

A backup service that backups to another provider.
I use JungleDisk ($5/server) (was bought by Rackspace) which can back up to Rackspace Cloud Files or your own Amazon AWS account.
You also pay for storage costs