200 emails/hour

Hi All,

I’m developing a site that involved a forum application that may notice user via email if there is a reply to its thread, user registration confirmation, retrieve forgotten password, etc. If this site getting popular, thus traffic will increase including mail sendings involving those activities. I’ve read this post and wonder if a popular forum will have enough 200 emails/hour sending ?

Please suggest.

Thanks !

Supernova

DREAMHOST [color=#CC0000]SUPERNOVA[/color] PROMO CODE [color=#00CC00]($97 OFF)[/color] => SIGN UP NOW !

If you need more than 200 emails/hour, then I suggest looking into using an external Mail provider such as Google Apps.

Or just disallow registration confirmation via email and set it up so that an Administrator has to validate them until you feel that you aren’t getting 200+ users/day.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

I cannot do cgi process (php mail) on Google Apps, right ?

Hm… it’s not 200 users/day but 200 mails/day :slight_smile:

Any of you running a quite high traffic users interaction site ? And how much mails limit have you been granted ?

Supernova

DREAMHOST [color=#CC0000]SUPERNOVA[/color] PROMO CODE [color=#00CC00]($97 OFF)[/color] => SIGN UP NOW

I think Mousee is referring to the fact that you could use an external smtp server and not your dreamhost smtp server. The limit is imposed by that server.

Actually, I suppose it’s possible that some sendmail limit might figure into the equation, but I don’t think so.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

So, in other words if I have my own mail server without limit I can send from DH’s cgi process without limit also ?

Supernova

DREAMHOST [color=#CC0000]SUPERNOVA[/color] PROMO CODE [color=#00CC00]($97 OFF)[/color] => SIGN UP NOW

I believe that’s what Mousee was suggesting, but I leave it to him to confirm for sure.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Not speaking from personal experience, but reporting anecdotal evidence from other users, it seems DreamHost will, in certain circumstances, increase the limit to as high as 500 per hour (not, btw, per day as you posted) - but will not increase the limit beyond this point.

–rlparker

Assuming you can configure your external SMTP mail server correctly to be used by your CGI Script or by PHP itself (I assume that’s what you’re using anyways), then yes. The maximum limit on emails sent per hour and their size would then be limited by whatever external mail server you wish to use.

@Lensman - Thanks for following up on this too. You clarified what I hadn’t thought to do originally :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!