2-year pre-payment is costlier than 1-year's?!

Hello all,

In the case of Crazy Domain Insane detailed at http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html,

a) $7.95/month x 24 months = 190.8$ - $97 (promo code) = $93.8 = $3.908/month

b) $9.95/month x 12 months = 119.4$ - 97$ = $22.4 = $1.866/month

Am I not calculating this right? How come 1-year pre-payment works out cheaper than the 2-year one? Isn’t it supposed to be the other way round?

And, Is $97 the maximum possible amount for a promo code?

What would be the charges for the same Crazy Domain Insane plan from subsequent year onwards? (meaning, from 2nd year on in case of 1-year pre-payment and 3rd year on in case of 2-year pre-payment)

Thanks for any replies.

You need to do the math before subtracting the promo code. Two-year is 20% less than a one-year payment.

Correct–$97 is the max promo code. The monthly plans won’t get the full $97–just one or two year plans.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Of course the 2 years will be more expensive because in a 1 year plan you are discounting the promo code from a smaller ammount, and the promo code only work once.
If you just register for a 1 year plan, you will then have to renew for the full price.

And yes, no affiliate can give a promo code higher than $97.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

No. A promo code is only valid for the first year. Once the first year is up, you pay full price.

a) $7.95/month x 24 months (2yr) = $190.80 - $97 (promo code) = $93.80 = $3.90/month

b) $9.95/month x 24 months (2 x 1yr) = $238.80 - $97 (promo code) = $141.80 = $5.90/month

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

And so on… if you register for 4 or 5 years, it will cost a little more per month, because the promo code will become diluted. Discount coupons only work for registrations, not for renewals :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. Now things are clear. This is the summary. Please correct me if am wrong:

Two-Year Pre-Payment of Crazy Domain Insane plan is cheaper than One-Year Pre-Payment by 20% if $97 promo code isn’t applied.

If it’s applied (and that’s the smart thing to do), Two-Year Pre-Payment of Crazy Domain Insane plan is cheaper than One-Year Pre-Payment by 33.85%.

One-Year Pre-Payment results in $3.90/month for the first year and $9.95/month from 2nd year onwards.

Two-Year Pre-Payment results in $5.90/month for the first year and $7.95/month from 2nd year onwards.

Yup

@Affiliate7: Where’s the 4 or 5 year plan you are talking about? The max I see at http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html is 2-year pre-payment.

@Simon: One question ->

I concluded “Two-Year Pre-Payment results in $5.90/month for the first year and $7.95/month from 2nd year onwards.”

The cost of $7.95/month from 2nd year onwards is based on what’s listed at present on the site. Say, at the time of renewal the listed price come down, can I avail the then applicable charges/month or is it fixed at $7.95 per month?

I’m not sure about that one. I assume that if you pay for two years in advance, you will have to pay the price originally quoted at the beginning. Having said that, I have not seen the price drop in the almost 3 years I have been here. On the other hand, I have seen a spectacular increase in disk space and bandwidth, not to mention loads of other features.

Hello! Yes, that was just an example to try to explain that the more years you count, the higher will be the price per month, because the one time $97 discount will be diluted.

What I can say is, don’t do the same mistake I did. I registered for just one year, to test the service, and it cost less than $23 for the first year, but the renewal was more expensive, because instead of paying $7.95 for each following month, I renewed for just one more year, for $9.95 per month… dumb…

I should have initially registered or renewed for 2 years, to get the less cost per month ($7.95), after the first year, when the initial promo code no longer matter, so you should just think of that as a welcome gift :slight_smile:

I totally missed the promo codes. I paid full price for two years and I’ve got to say that I’m still happy.

Wholly

While I did obtain a promo-code discount when I signed-up, I have no problems paying the full price each time my plan is up for renewal.

It really is extremely good value, especially when compared to some of the insane prices charged for local hosting here in Australia.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I do have to admit that I have had ZERO issues (knock on formica). Quick outages when power spiked and things were resetting but generally rock solid. I set up some external monitors and either my sites are up or external monitoring is broken…

Wholly

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I signed up for the 2-year hosting. Waiting for my account to get activated. How long does it usually take after I fax the sheet?

Simon Jessey, I used your promo-code.

I’m glad to be of help. Now go and get some referrals so I can make some money too! :slight_smile:

I asked DH this question “The cost of $7.95/month from 2nd year onwards is based on what’s listed at present on the site. Say, at the time of renewal the listed price come down, can I avail the then applicable charges/month or is it fixed at $7.95 per month?”

and the response is good: “If our plan lowers price, you can switch to that plan after your first two years have passed. Don’t worry, you are not fixed on that price forever.”

Yes, of course. But I haven’t seen price changes around here… even cheaper than this is even dangerous for business. I rather have stable hosting, with a decent price, than a cheap one, with lots of problems…