13 outages since april 1st

Okay, my first month with dreamhost.

I’m using siteuptime.com to watch the downtimes.
Here is the result for the first half of April:

Year |Month | Outages | Uptime | Downtime
2006 | April | 13 | 97.331% | 2.669%
Link: http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=32419&&UserId=46481

Do you think those figures are dissapointment or I should be ok with it?

I agree, outage is maybe not too high,
but on my other host i had 1H+15min outage in 2 years (and the first one was announced).

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

I wouldn’t be happy with those figures at all. 13 outages over such a short time period is not good, what server are you on?

Do you know the times and durations of the outages? The reason I ask, if all 13 outages were relatively short and occured on the one day then the figures are not as bad as they at first seem. However, if the outages were of a longer duration and spread over the month, then the figures are pretty dismal.

To be fair to DreamHost, they did suffer a major network problem a little while ago and this could be responsible for the outages. Such major problems have been quite rare during my time with DreamHost and network stability is genrally good.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Since it’s only half a month, if it stays there (i.e. no more downtime for the rest of April), it will go like 98.65% uptime on April 30, which is not bad for non-critical hosting.

Of course, if it continues with the current rate (97.33% uptime), it will be barely acceptable for amateur/hobby hosting.

Anything less than 97% is a joke. But then we’ll have to consider how much we pay ($10/mo or $10/yr), AND your monitoring intervals at Siteuptime.com (e.g. 30 mins vs. 5 mins, which significantly affects our calculations here).

[quote]Here is the result for the first half of April:

Year |Month | Outages | Uptime | Downtime
2006 | April | 13 | 97.331% | 2.669%

[/quote]

Get [color=#CC0000]$97 Off[/color] with promo code SWEETDREAMS at CrazyDomainInsane.com

Gah, I’ve had almost as many. We moved our site from a dedicated box we own to Dreamhost for the purpose of stability and reliability. So far the experiance has been very poor. The site went down several times within two weeks, occasionally losing MySQL and FTP! I hope it gets better from here, because this is sad.

Outages didn’t happened in 1 or 2 days. And, since the checking intervals is 30 minutes, these figures could be worse.

2 more outages in last 2 days. So latest update:

Year | Month | Outages | Uptime | Downtime
2006 | April | 15 | 96.950% | 3.050%

Nope, 96.9% uptime is no good, but I’ll wait until the end of May to ask for refund. Hope it gets better…

I agree, that is a poor result.

I have much better uptime on my server, only two very short outages in the last month, so I think a lot depends on which Dreamhost server your site is on.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

It depends on the duration of the outage though. I was working on my database all day yesterday and about 8:15 or so the whole thing went down but was back up in what smeed about 1 minute. To me, even if it’s once a day it doesn’t bother me as long as the duration is short.

I have had terrible uptime in general with Dreamhost…

Just TODAY I’ve had 2 hours of downtime and the site is STILL not up…

My server is cienega btw…

Mine is ‘Fletcher’

Have you sent a support request to Dreamhost about this?

I have found that they are very quick to respond to site outages.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

UPDATE!

1 outage in MAY = 99.863% uptime,

I loved it :slight_smile:

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=32419&&UserId=46481

Good to see the problems are sorted. :slight_smile:

100% uptime during May for me as well.
http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=31450&&UserId=45746

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog