Current time: 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

password recovery: is anyone happy?
05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
RE: password recovery: is anyone happy?
Hello netdcon. Your post is quite illogical.

Quote:But why wouldn't I complain?
Because there's about a gazillion other things I'd rather have the DH folks deal with than molly-coddling them that can't be arsed to remember their own administrative passwords.

Molly-coddling "them that can't be arsed to remember their own administrative passwords" is exactly what dreamhost is doing now, by having a password recovery mechanism geared for maximum convenience and minimum security.

I am suggesting that dh improve it to a level of medium convenience and medium security.

Two other posters are saying they should improve it further, to the level of industry-standard security. I also would be happy with that.

The point I am trying to make is that the customers who are most at risk due to the current insecure mechanism are the ones who are least knowledgeable in how to protect themselves through good practice, so if dreamhost wishes to attract novices users (which, as I suggested, benefits everyone by keeping costs down) they really ought to re-think the password recovery mechanism.

~Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: password recovery: is anyone happy? - tomtavoy - 05-06-2011 08:04 AM