Current time: 04-16-2014, 03:29 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

opaque to Google
09-28-2004, 08:10 AM
opaque to Google
This may seem a bizarre question, but I'm at my wit's end (not that great a distance granted).

In February of 04, the company I work for added a domain to our plan. Not a subdomain, but not a new plan either. Dreamhost lets you host additional domains for no additional cost. "Nice deal!" we thought.

("We" are FAYFOTO, a commercial photography outfit. Our primary account with DreamHost is http://www.fayfoto.com Google has indexed the main site)

The new domain is http://www.bostonscenicphotos.com/

I thought it was interesting that both domains' root directories lie at the same level in our account directory, but didn't think much about it.

However, nothing I have done seems to cause our new site to show up in Google. I have metatags with keywords, titles that are relevant and enough pertinent body copy that I was confident in short order we would be indexed.

I checked to see if I had left any robot no-follow files around. I haven't done anything stupid like hidden text. I have done everything with the html I can think of to be friendly to an indexing spider. I requested that Google index us. Three times. Nothing so far.

Being at the end of my ideas I started to wonder if - far fetched as it might seem - there was something about the directory structure of an additional domain that in some way "hides" it from the Google bots?

I would not be surprised if you said such an idea was rubbish (Dreamhost support didn't think this was the problem) but - I can't for the life of me figure out why we don't show up at all in spite of doing everything I can think of to be visible.

It's true that we aren't linked to by many (or possibly even any) other sites yet, and I understand that has a bearing on things (ranking in particular). But come on - Goole pulls up the most obscure sites that can't ALL be linked to by other sites!

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on the subject.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
opaque to Google - SteveNelson - 09-28-2004 08:10 AM
opaque to Google - scjessey - 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM
opaque to Google - SteveNelson - 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM
opaque to Google - prufrock - 09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
opaque to Google - IAmAtMyWitsEnd - 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
opaque to Google - user919 - 02-21-2005, 09:26 PM