Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

putty login problems
05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
putty login problems
I'm having trouble logging in to putty. I think the problem I'm having is one of the following (excerpts are quoted from DreamHost 2006 post):

1. "Another consideration is that, since you have tried this several times without success, the following excerpt from that wiki article might be relevant:

Server unexpectedly closed network connection" (I had this notice)

"If you get this error when attempting to SSH (or SFTP/SCP), this can mean your IP has been blocked due to an excessive number of failed login attempts. You will get no notice that this has happened. Contact support and they will remove the block and whitelist your IP address. If you don't know your IP, visit http://www.whatismyipaddress.com." - (got it)
***question - where can I get "them" to remove my IP address from the whitelist? I don't see any putty contact info. Would it be the network people at my school? Would it be my firewall?
2. "I have forgotten in the past to remind users who have come from a host where shell access was not available to remember to enable shell access for their user before attempting to use the shell. None of this will work if you do not have shell access enabled for your user."
***question - where can I check if I have shell access enabled for my user?

Hope someone knows the answers to my questions!!

Thanks,

Michele
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
putty login problems - ShellCl - 05-02-2009 08:47 AM
putty login problems - sXi - 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM
putty login problems - Atropos7 - 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
RE: putty login problems - sames1 - 08-27-2011, 07:50 PM