Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Index of /" error
03-22-2006, 06:24 AM
"Index of /" error
Hi there.

I curently having problems getting my website up on one of my domains hosted with DreamHost. The domain I am having problems with (http://www.msilsby.com) is currently showing a page displaying "index of /" and "Parent directory". This domain is registered through an external domain registration company.

I am using a program called RapidWeaver to publish my websites (I use a mac), using the inbuilt ftp client. This client has successfully published both sites to the respective /duff-silsby.com and /msilsby.com folders, however I can only see the website which has been published to the http://www.duff-silsby.com domain. I have also checked to make sure that the website is okay, by exporting it to another machine, to which the website showed no errors.

I have also tried uploading my website through an ftp client (captain ftp), without any luck. The one wierd thing I have noticed when I log in through the ftp client, is that where there is only the "/duff-silsby.com" folder for that respective domain name, there is both a "/msilsby.com" and a "/www.msilsby.com" folder for that domain.

Could this be partly to blame, and if so, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

msilsby
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2006, 06:28 AM
"Index of /" error
this directory is empty. what folder you copying the files into?

---------------------------------------------------------
Use the coupon code FIVEZEROOFF when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant $50 off!
03-22-2006, 06:32 AM
"Index of /" error
Quote:The domain I am having problems with (http://www.msilsby.com) is currently showing a page displaying "index of /" and "Parent directory".
When you get hosting at DreamHost, they provide you with one or more folders in which to put your websites. Typically, these folders are the domain names themselves (although the Control Panel now offers the chance to call them by another name).

Right now, the folder for your msilsby.com domain (which may also be called that) is completely empty, so your publishing tool was unsuccessful.

--------
Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97
03-22-2006, 06:50 AM
"Index of /" error
The site path being published to is /msilsby.com. When I view the folder through ftp, it shows the folder containing all of the necessary files. I have even tried deleting all of these files, and uploading directly from the hardrive, but with no luck.

Is there a reason why there would be both a /www.msilsby.com and a /msilsby.com file?
03-22-2006, 06:58 AM
"Index of /" error
Quote:Is there a reason why there would be both a /www.msilsby.com and a /msilsby.com file?
No. That is very odd. When you log in with an FTP client, you should see a list a bit like this:

Folders
resources
logs
Maildr
domainname1.com
domainname2.com (and so on, if you have more than 1)

Files
.mysql_history
.cshrc
.bashrc
.bash_profile
.bash_history
.alias

And that's pretty much it. I've never seen domain name folders prefixed with www before, unless they have been named that way when the domain was setup in the Control Panel.

--------
03-22-2006, 07:12 AM
"Index of /" error
Okay.

It gets wierder. I am having a look in the control panel at the moment, and am coming across some wierd stuff. Mainly, in the "remap sub-directories", "bandwidth", and "Install new website software", where there are two 'www.msilsby.com' domains, yet everywhere else (such as email addresses, and everthing under the domains tab) there is only one.
03-22-2006, 07:18 AM
"Index of /" error
Quote:It gets wierder. I am having a look in the control panel at the moment, and am coming across some wierd stuff. Mainly, in the "remap sub-directories", "bandwidth", and "Install new website software", where there are two 'www.msilsby.com' domains, yet everywhere else (such as email addresses, and everthing under the domains tab) there is only one.
I recommend you open a support ticket, because that mess might take a little bit of sorting out!

--------
03-22-2006, 07:24 AM
"Index of /" error
Thanks guys,

You have been awesome. I may just do that!
03-22-2006, 07:42 AM
"Index of /" error
Just check that your ftp program and software is not creating those folders.

--
Norm
03-22-2006, 09:50 AM
"Index of /" error
yeah, the ftp may have created the http://www.domain.com directory.

You may have to set your ftp up to look something like this:
http://www.mydomain.com/mydomain.com

to make sure they end up in your actual domain folder. Try moving your files into the domain folder without the www. do they show up then?
Find all posts by this user