DreamHost Forum
MyBB! - Printable Version

+- DreamHost Forum (https://discussion.dreamhost.com)
+-- Forum: DreamHost (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Announcements (/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: MyBB! (/thread-126704.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: MyBB! - Andrew F - 05-20-2010 10:37 AM

(05-20-2010 10:02 AM)timestandstill Wrote:  
(05-20-2010 09:25 AM)TheNinthPlayer Wrote:  I would have preferred to see vBulletin since it's probably the best forum software for support sites but anything is better than the old discussion boards.

Tell me what vBulletin offers that MyBB doesn't. Ugly admin cp doesn't count.

An expensive license doesn't count either! Wink

RE: MyBB! - TheNinthPlayer - 05-20-2010 01:16 PM

(05-20-2010 10:02 AM)timestandstill Wrote:  Tell me what vBulletin offers that MyBB doesn't. Ugly admin cp doesn't count.

Similar Threads & SEO of course! Support forums best friends.

Similar Threads: shows a list of similar threads to the one your currently viewing. It can also make Similar Thread suggestions when someone starts typing a new post. This helps cut down on the amount of people who post before they search.

Search Engine Optimization: Basically it gives search engines like Google something more digestible. Their are a few articles on the web that explain it well.

Don't get me wrong, MyBB is cool. I just like vB better.

RE: MyBB! - timestandstill - 05-20-2010 01:22 PM

(05-20-2010 01:16 PM)TheNinthPlayer Wrote:  
(05-20-2010 10:02 AM)timestandstill Wrote:  Tell me what vBulletin offers that MyBB doesn't. Ugly admin cp doesn't count.

Similar Threads & SEO of course! Support forums best friends.

Similar Threads: shows a list of similar threads to the one your currently viewing. It can also make Similar Thread suggestions when someone starts typing a new post. This helps cut down on the amount of people who post before they search.

Search Engine Optimization: Basically it gives search engines like Google something more digestible. Their are a few articles on the web that explain it well.

Don't get me wrong, MyBB is cool. I just like vB better.

Similar threads: MyBBCentral has a plugin for that.
SEO: Don't know what you're talking about. Content is key.

If these are really the only things, $200 is so not worth it.

RE: MyBB! - dwr - 05-20-2010 02:21 PM

So far the only two usability "issues" I have:

- It would be awesome if you could place the Mark Forums Read link (presently lower right on index page) at the top left, in with the View New | View Today's.

- I'm guessing that you can do *nothing* about this, but it's not working with FireFox's saved user/pass function, so I have to input ever time. I am wondering if this is just me or everyone? I'm running a pretty stock FF.

RE: MyBB! - ichsie - 05-20-2010 06:43 PM

I like MyBB too, using it on one of my community site about dental care. They are going big very soon after the aquisition of the domain mybb.com.

RE: MyBB! - Alex Smith - 05-20-2010 09:02 PM

(05-20-2010 02:21 PM)dwr Wrote:  So far the only two usability "issues" I have:

- It would be awesome if you could place the Mark Forums Read link (presently lower right on index page) at the top left, in with the View New | View Today's.

- I'm guessing that you can do *nothing* about this, but it's not working with FireFox's saved user/pass function, so I have to input ever time. I am wondering if this is just me or everyone? I'm running a pretty stock FF.

1. That can easily be done through the admin cp. By modifying templates or if it's for a specific site you could try messing around with greasemonkey and firebug. And if it's just to make a forum read you can simply click the icon the index to make it read as well Wink(it's one of those hidden things that you'll just notice by accident).

2. hmm, I just registered but I do know that function should work fine. However it may be due to the ajax that is causing it to not work on the index page or pages other than the login.php.

RE: MyBB! - Alex - 05-21-2010 11:33 AM

Cool Big Grin

Also it is a very nice theme you guys are using here.

RE: MyBB! - pedrotuga - 05-24-2010 03:51 PM

Kudos!

MyBB is my favourite forum software at the moment. Unfortunately FOSS software has lost a bit of terrain in this particular field the last couple of years. MyBB seems to be taking the fight pretty well and have a good momentum. Nice of Dreamhost to pick MyBB and hopefully this will be a bit of commercial for such cool software.

Now, as others said... waiting for 1-click mybb installs a dreamhost.

A final word for the once mighty wwwthreads... 9 years! So long wwwthreads!

RE: MyBB! - perfectoptimizer - 08-22-2010 05:38 AM

I think this is a good idea, it can be useful for all users.

PM Spam - crimsondryad - 08-25-2010 03:17 AM

We need a way to flag private messages as spam. I just got one from some supposedly hot chick in the UK looking for faith and true love. Riiiiiiiiiight. She would be disappointed..I'm pretty sure my profile says I'm female.