DreamHost Forum
MyBB! - Printable Version

+- DreamHost Forum (https://discussion.dreamhost.com)
+-- Forum: DreamHost (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Announcements (/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: MyBB! (/thread-126704.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: MyBB! - mbaizman - 05-18-2010 08:02 AM

Well done on the switchover! I imagine there was some fun Perlscripting to get everything out of WWWthreads.

MyBB looks great, and thanks for giving us a little insight into the switching decision.

RE: MyBB! - wolfnix - 05-18-2010 11:27 AM

(05-17-2010 05:05 PM)Abdel Wrote:  Was the move to MyBB because it's free/open source? Smile I'm just curious because if it was me my choice will be vbulletin or IPB (invision).

As the first post said, and from my understanding of it, well from basicly reading it. There are three main reasons they picked mybb over any other source.
  1. The ability to easily convert all users, topics and other data to myBB
  2. Low resource requirement on the database
  3. and being opensource

I like IPB, but I like phpbb, and myBB. Whatever works for DH should be supported, given it is their site...

RE: MyBB! - labrocca - 05-18-2010 11:29 AM

Thank you Dreamhost for using MyBB. I'm an avid fan and supporter of not only MyBB but also dreamhost. I run the #1 third party MyBB support forums (MyBBCentral.com) which is actually hosted here at DH for some time now. I have a handful of MyBB forums here and they all run great.

If DH does need any assistance with the software I'm more than happy to suffice. If you want a free subscription at MyBBCentral (normally $10) please PM me. That will enable you to download some plugins which you may or may not use.

For those that aren't used to MyBB or have not tried it as an admin. Please give it a whirl. As you can see from this thread even experienced webmasters running hundreds of thousands of websites see the great job the MyBB Project has done with it's software.

Thank you DH.

-Jesse LaBrocca

RE: MyBB! - CajuCLC - 05-18-2010 02:59 PM

I would prefer IPB, but it's hard to move to their board.

RE: MyBB! - timestandstill - 05-18-2010 04:21 PM

(05-18-2010 02:59 PM)CajuCLC Wrote:  I would prefer IPB, but it's hard to move to their board.

I like MyBB and IPB both for different reasons. Just be happy we've moved from god-awful wwwthreads.

RE: MyBB! - marsbar - 05-19-2010 02:03 PM

Am I the only crazy person who did not mind the old (WWWThreads) forums? From an end user's point of view, I think the old forums worked well enough.
To our Admin: nice job on the smooth transition to MyBB!

RE: MyBB! - sdayman - 05-19-2010 02:50 PM

I was very much used to the old system, but this is much more polished. It's also easier to view all new posts at once.

RE: MyBB! - rlparker - 05-19-2010 04:57 PM

(05-19-2010 02:03 PM)marsbar Wrote:  Am I the only crazy person who did not mind the old (WWWThreads) forums? From an end user's point of view, I think the old forums worked well enough.
To our Admin: nice job on the smooth transition to MyBB!

I didn't mind it at all. What is lacked in ""polish" and appearance it made up for in simplicity, but I admit the old search functions was rather primitive. Also, there was a lot of clamor for something more modern looking.

MyBB is working very well, and I think the change is a good thing overall!

RE: MyBB! - TheNinthPlayer - 05-20-2010 09:25 AM

Thank you for upgrading!

I would have preferred to see vBulletin since it's probably the best forum software for support sites but anything is better than the old discussion boards.

RE: MyBB! - timestandstill - 05-20-2010 10:02 AM

(05-20-2010 09:25 AM)TheNinthPlayer Wrote:  I would have preferred to see vBulletin since it's probably the best forum software for support sites but anything is better than the old discussion boards.

Tell me what vBulletin offers that MyBB doesn't. Ugly admin cp doesn't count.